Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Become a Member


If you're single, you've heard this phrase often... "Oh, you're single? Well, you better take advantage of that now before you get married and have kids...because then, life as you know it, will be OVER!!"

I used to scoff over that statement - "pfft, life won't end once I'm married! What are they thinking?!"

...but not anymore!

I've decided to embrace it and really take advantage of my life right now before I kick the "single bucket!" I’ve come up with a list of things that I want to accomplish before life as I know it is "over."

1) Become a Member

It has always been a desire of mine to find my own church family and become a member of a local congregation. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the denomination that I grew up with, so for the first 4 years of life on my own, I went to non-denominational churches. One I stayed at for three years and was in their choir and was even baptized on my birthday last year. I thought for sure that this would give me a sense of "family away from home" but something still didn't feel right. After that I made the decision to try out a church of the denomination that I grew up in. That's when I discovered Immanuel Lutheran Church! What a difference! I remember the first church service I went to brought me to tears because it reminded me of being home and took me back to my roots. That was May 2013 and I am proud to say that on June 1, 2014 I became an official member of the church! Becoming a member makes me feel a part of my city and helps me to build relationships and connections within the community. And of course, grow in my relationship with Jesus.





Along with finding my own church home, I decided to further my community connections and become a member of Frederik Meijer Gardens. What fun! With this membership I'm able to join classes, networking events, enjoy concert pre-sale access and entry into their fantastic sculpture park and gardens. This is where I will be seeing my favorite band, Nickel Creek perform! 

I really don't believe that life and all its joys will end once marriage enters my life. Most of my girlfriends are married and have children. It's true that it's harder for them to be footloose and fancy free but they haven't stopped living...quite the contrary! Two of my married friends have each gone to Israel with their husbands and one even did a tour of Europe! My point is that life is what you make it by what type of attitude and perspective you have and my friends have been great examples of that.

The Apostle Paul was probably one of the Bible's biggest advocates of remaining single to better serve the church for God. It took me awhile to grasp where Paul was coming from and how I can be content  with my life right now. What he is suggesting isn't for single people to sit idly by and wait to get married to serve God or for their lives to start. Paul encouraged the members of the church to live a life of fullness for the glory of God. Paul states that we can do this by serving the church and living with a contented spirit by appreciating the blessings that God gives us - even during the season of singleness.

I am excited to share the different goals that I have come up with for this season of my life. I would also like to hear some of your own “bucket list” goals single or in general! Please leave a comment below.

-A 

*Note: Speaking of "kicking the bucket" I looked up the reason behind it and it's really quite morbid. Here are some other strange phrases that I found that relate to "kicking the bucket"...  

"Dead as a doornail"
"Dead as a dodo"
"To count worms"
"At peace..."

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Alie on joining your church, I'm still not apart of mine yet. I'm trying to find a good decent/small church but its also hard b/c I'm sleeping when I should be at college group sunday nights. Glad you are taking your singleness and not letting it put you down; can do whatever you want. I like your dress in the picture, way to start off summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danae! It was a pretty proud moment of mine when I became a member. Yes, you have a crazy schedule right now and I'm sure it's very hard for you to get to church. I'll pray for you to either find a different work schedule or a church that has a service you can attend!
      Yeah, the skirt is from a store in Saugatuck and the color is a perfect to start summer off with! We should go there sometime to shop! :o)

      Delete