Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why?

Recently at work our whole organization was required to watch an inspirational video about "Why we do what we do." After watching it we each had to meet with the head of Professional and Careers Development department to discuss our statement. At least we weren't alone in this backwards thinking statement! For so long I was under the impression that we get a job because there are bills to pay and we have to support ourselves or a family with our paychecks. In my one on one meeting with the head of the P&CD, I told her how I loved my time working in my hometown in a retail store and how I felt so much happiness there and missed it dearly. She then asked me what tasks that I enjoyed the most...that's when I realized it wasn't the tasks that I was doing while I worked there that brought me happiness. It was the connections I made with each customer I came in contact with and how I could spread the love and joy I found in my hometown with them and also enjoy most of my work tasks.

I was honest with her that I currently didn't have that passionate connection with the position that I am in at work now. We concluded that could be because I recently moved to a new job location (and acquired new job responsibilities with the move) and I'm still getting used to my surroundings and haven't made any real connections. Recognizing this made my "Why Statement" come to life and I want to share it:


"By connecting (or forming relationships) with individuals,
I can freely give of myself to impact the greater good."

Forming connections and relationships are the core of who I am (especially the relationship I'm building with Jesus). I guess you could say it's what gets me out of bed in the morning (although that yummy bowl of cereal calling my name each morning is a close tie!)
To some this exercise may seem like a pointless (I kind of thought this in the beginning) thing to figure out...now the way I'm choosing to look at it is that it's always good to know where you're coming from when you're "doing what you do." Helps to know if you're on the right track or not. I realized that even though right now I may not be enjoying my "tasks" at work, that I could be more proactive about forming relationships with my new co-workers and team at my new location. It's a challenge, but a good one.

WHY do you do what you do?

-A

4 comments:

  1. I grew up knowing I wanted to speak/write in some capacity. I'm also willing to admit I knew I wanted to make money. While that wasn't the primary goal, that IS the real reason most people work. Given the choice between a money career OR a fulfilling career, of course I'd pick the fulfilling one. But if I don't have to choose, and I can have both, that's even better. Right now I'd say I don't help people as much as I wish I could, but I see some jobs as training and preparation. My current job is giving me the skills and paycheck I need to train myself professionally and prepare myself financially to one day be able to have the career that's solely focused on humanitarian goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of your desire to get into the humanitarian realm - I like that! I think you'd be really great at it. I agree that it's important to look at some jobs as training ground to help you gain a good foundation for what your "dream job" is. And of course getting a job to earn a paycheck is something we all desire. Bills are a reality (sadly lol). Thanks for your honesty and comment! :o)

      Delete
  2. I don't believe there is a way for people to articulate their feeling of "why". If this were the case then we would all be at the perfect job doing exactly what it is we wanted to do. But I do believe the exercise serves a great purpose in identifying how to share your enthusiasm in your work. I think you Identified your "why" spiritually and that's WHY you are who you are. You take a deeper perspective then whats on the surface, which is why you establish great relationships and strong connections. You have a wonderful compassion for people and the unique ability to make people want to open up and share with you. It doesn't matter if you are in Frankenmuth or New York City - You are the reason you have these great relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! It is true that my faith is "why" I am the way I am. :o)

      Delete